The orginal version that inspired this recipe is out of “the ontario cookbook” and it was for a smoke trout and chive tortilla.. but I had leftover grilled salmon, cold baby potato’s and fresh leek to use up which lead to this lovely dish below..
- 1 large potato or 4 small baby potato-Leftovers are fine, or you can fresh cook these and use them hot
- 1 tsp of butter
- 6 eggs- beaten or four duck eggs-which is what I used..
- 1/4th cup of washed finely diced leek, equal mix of green or white
- 4 oz portion of cooked salmon
- A touch of salt.
- Extra- I personally also used some finely washed and diced horseradish greens to add a little heat, could also use black pepper to get the same effect, but it would not be near as healthy to do so.
Heat your butter in a cast iron pan, mix your eggs with potato, leek/greens and salmon, pour into your med-high pan and leave for about a min, when the base is almost set, sprinkle with the rest of the remaining leek and slide under a broiler to finish, At this point, you could do a very light grating of cheese on top if you wanted to do so..
Don’t brown this up to much, you just want to finish cooking it, serves two main meal portions for supper with green salad on side or serves 4 for breakfast portions with fruit on side..
I liked it cold but Dh never likes cold potato’s in these kinds of dishes, he only likes them warm or hot.. try it both ways and see what you think..