I’m so excited, I’m so excited!! LOL
Well, Girl was cycling perfectly, then she got breed, and this month, nothing.. I have been checking her daily and nothing, Marty agree’s with me.. no heat this month.. which means that the odds are very good that she took!
I will need to do one more month to be sure and then I will have to decide if I will break down and have the vet come out and do a ultrsound to confirm the month afterwards but I think I will do my best to buck up and just trust in nature :)
Now I need to plan and prepare for a winter pregancy for her, and that means making sure she gets the very best that I can give in terms of hay, feed and fresh extra’s, I would normally be looking at putting away into the cellar a number of extra big bags of fall apples but that is so not going to happen this year, root veggies are not doing that well this year.. and even my squash, while producing, are not anywhere near where they should be.. sigh.. I might have to break down and buy green cover seed and just do sprout trays.
I hope that she has a lovely baby boy, and I am stilll thinking about talking to farmer R and buying a second calf from him for her to raise up as well, she should? produce right around 6 or more gallons of milk a day, so 2 gallons for her calf, 2 gallons for the house per day, and that leaves me with 2 gallons of fresh whole milk, or 2 gallons of skimmed milk to be used for chickens, pigs or ??
I don’t know if I want to pick up that second calf or just reduce the feed costs on the chicken flock by feeding fresh milk to them? Time will give me the answer..